Well, Hubby and I are officially experiencing being foster parents. It is a challenge, but rewarding. Yesterday, God brought a 5 year old boy into our home! We anticipate that he will be with us for a week. Since he has visitation with his mom sprinkled into his time with us, it is looking like a hectic week. (In addition, we have a friend coming to stay with us for a few days, so it's going to be a full house!) However, I have to believe that everything that happens is in God's plan. It has been nice to have this transition time as Hubby and I continue to learn about parenthood.
God has put a passion in my heart for foster children, orphans and children waiting to be adopted. Most people don't know that 500,000 children go through the foster care system every year. Many go from home to home to home. So far, we know that our home is at least the 3rd one that our current foster child has been in. This can cause attachment issues in children - where they are too afraid to trust anyone and don't want to get attached to anyone, because they never know when they will be uprooted again.
This brings me to address a statement that I have heard repeatedly once I tell people Hubby and I are foster parents: "Aren't you afraid you will get too attached to the children?" Well, yeah, you should attach to the children. That is what they need. Someone who cares about them. Just because it may be difficult emotionally for you as a foster parent, does that mean you should not do it? Or, should you foster, but not invest yourself fully? No. As a foster parent, we do experience loss, but think of how much greater that loss is that the child has experienced.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment