As I anticipate becoming a parent for the first time (aside from my two lovely dogs, Muffin and Chocolate!) this question has come to mind. I already feel like a parent. We have filled out mountains of paperwork (and we're not done yet!), made untold financial sacrifices and are preparing to travel thousands of miles to receive our child. Although I always knew I would adopt, I never imagined I would be journeying to Ethiopia. However, as it is written: "No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him" - I Corinthians 2:9. We know that God plans a wonderful future for those who love Him.
Hubby and I desire so strongly to build our family that we have overcome great odds. Most Americans favor adoption and many have at some point considered adoption, but no more than 2% of Americans have actually adopted. We have answered the call of family that God placed on our hearts, even though it may not be a typical journey in the eyes of most people.
God knows which children will be a part of our family before anyone even knows of their existence. As a dear friend recently reminded me: God has good planned for us. "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11.
I have also enjoyed the deeper connection I have with family as I ask them questions about the adoption processes they experienced when adopting other family members. I also see other family members in a new light as I explore the feelings they went through as a birthmother or birthfather who made an adoption plan for their children. I feel blessed that I have these resources within my own family. The stories that have been shared with me have not always been ones of great joy. There has been some definite heartache. In the end, though, a family was created and for that I am thankful.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment