Enkuan Aderesachehu = Happy Holidays! Direct translation = How good that God has gotten us to this point/this day! The majority of believers in Ethiopia are Christians, with a large minority of Muslims. However, Ethiopia is one of the rare countries where Christians and Muslims live together in relative peace. (Another awesome fact about Ethiopia that Hubby and I liked).
Today is Christmas in Ethiopia. It is called Ganna or YeLidet Beal. Direct translation = festival of birth. And, that is what the Ethiopians do. Gift giving is not done on this day. This day is used to celebrate the birth of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. There are feasts and games and most people go to church. Many people fast on Christmas Eve (which was yesterday). How did you spend your Christmas holiday? Did you spend it rushing around the mall, spending all your money? I have to say, I believe the Ethiopians have the right idea. This day should be spent celebrating Jesus. It should be spent with family and friends. This is exactly what my family did and we had a wonderful time! Enkuan Aderesachehu!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment