Sunday, July 17, 2011

Live and Become

Hubby and I watched an awesome movie titled "Live and Become"!!! The movie is based on a true story and begins when Ethiopian Jews have fled to Sudanese refugee camps. In 1984, "Operation Moses" begins to transport the Ethiopian Jews from the Sudan to Israel.

There is a Christian Ethiopian woman who wants a better life for her 9 year old son. She tells her son to pretend to be Jewish so that he can go to Israel and have a better life. The boy is sent to Israel with an Ethiopian Jewish woman whose son recently died. Once in Israel, the adoptive mother dies. The movie brings up thought provoking issues of race, religion, discrimination, adoption, and transracial/transcultural relationships.

Hopefully, the little I have revealed has peaked enough interest that you might rent this movie to watch. Hubby and I highly recommend it. Especially if you are interested in Christian, Ethiopian or Jewish culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment